Seaport Transmission Line Relocation Project
To accommodate the new alignment of Northern Avenue in Boston’s Seaport District, Eversource is proposing to relocate two existing 115-kiloVolt (kV) transmission lines.
At Eversource, we're always working to serve you better. To support economic growth and ongoing redevelopment projects throughout the Boston Seaport district, including the long-planned reconfiguration of public streets, Eversource, in collaboration with WS Development, a local real estate firm, is proposing to relocate approximately 700 linear-feet of existing underground 115-kV transmission lines. WS Development asked Eversource to relocate the underground transmission lines to allow for construction of new buildings. The current location of the transmission lines beneath a parking lot will be relocated into new conduit and laid beneath the revised alignment of Northern Avenue.
WS Development: A local real estate firm which owns several buildings and parking lots in the Seaport District and has been working on the development of the Seaport neighborhood since 2006. For more information on the redevelopment in the Seaport, visit www.wsdevelopment.com.
- Route Length: Approximately 700 linear-feet
- City: Boston (Seaport District)
- Line Voltage: 115,000-volt (115-kV) underground transmission line
- Permits Reviewed By City of Boston
Estimated Timetable (subject to change):
- Start of construction*: September 2020
- Estimated in-service date*: April 2022
* Pending all necessary permit approvals from the City of Boston.
First, please know that Eversource takes every safety precaution while working in local communities and that all people working on the construction project carry identification. The project work will not interrupt electric service to homes or businesses.
Eversource is committed to updating neighbors, businesses and all community members about project activities, especially during construction. Please keep in mind that the construction schedule may change due to weather or other unexpected circumstances.
Week of January 18, 2021
- Eversource crews will be working on Northern Avenue between Courthouse Way and Sleeper Street installing material at the site of a new manhole. A manhole is a chamber that allows workers to access electrical wires.
- Lane closures (or shifts) and parking restrictions may be needed during work hours to complete this activity and police details will be present. Detour signage will be posted. Work hours will be Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Eversource is committed to engaging city officials, residents, businesses, community groups, and other stakeholders about upcoming project activities through municipal briefings, mailings, virtual meetings and door-to-door outreach, while adhering to COVID-19 social distancing and other related health and safety guidelines.
Keeping the lines of communication open is an important part of our work in your community. For more information about the proposed Seaport Transmission Line Relocation Project, send an email to ProjectInfo@eversource.com
or call 800-793-2202.