Greater Cambridge Energy Project
We propose to construct a new underground substation in Kendall Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts, along with five underground duct banks housing eight new 115-kilovolt (kV) underground transmission lines interconnecting to existing substations in the surrounding area.
These upgrades will bolster system reliability, meet growing energy needs and further facilitate access to clean energy resources for our customers.
The new substation will be located between Broadway and Binney Street and will be integrated into Boston Properties’ redevelopment plans for the Kendall Center Blue Garage.
Above the underground substation will be an open and accessible public space.
The project also requires five underground duct banks housing eight new 115-kilovolt (kV) transmission lines, interconnecting the new substation to an existing substation in the Allston-Brighton neighborhood of Boston, existing substations at Kendall, as well as Putnam Avenue in Cambridge and the existing substation at Prospect Street in Somerville.
Detailed maps are also available: Putnam | Kendall | Somerville | Allston-Brighton
We're committed to continuing our collaborative working partnership with each local community, municipal leaders and other interested stakeholders to provide information on the project, gather feedback and answer any questions or concerns.
Virtual public open houses and in-person pop-up events were held in each host community during the fall of 2021 to solicit feedback from a diverse cross-section of the neighborhoods the project will traverse.
- Public Open Houses: Open houses were held in October, 2021. Materials are available below in Additional Resources.
- File Siting Petition with the Energy Facilities Siting Board (EFSB): Late 2021
- EFSB Public Hearing: 2022 (date TBD)
- Tentative Decision from the EFSB: Mid/Late 2023
- Final Decision from the EFSB: Late 2023
- Pending EFSB approval, Pre-Construction Open Houses: Late 2023
- Start of construction: Early 2024
- Estimated in-service date: Late 2028
*Dates subject to change