Mystic - East Eagle - Chelsea Reliability Project
Electric demand is growing in eastern Massachusetts. The area needs an additional substation and transmission capacity to support the reliable delivery of electric power to meet the region’s current demand.
To address this issue, we are installing a new 115/14-kilovolt (kV) substation in the East Eagle neighborhood of East Boston, and two new 115-kV underground transmission lines to connect the new substation to existing substations in Everett and Chelsea.
We are also making minor improvements within the fenced area of the existing Mystic Substation on Broadway in Everett, and the existing Chelsea Substation on Willoughby Street in Chelsea.
The East Eagle - Mystic transmission line will be constructed under the streets in Chelsea and Everett, and connect to an existing duct bank connecting Chelsea and East Boston. The East Eagle - Chelsea transmission line will be located within an existing duct bank and manhole system in East Boston and Chelsea.
* Click to Enlarge
- East Eagle Substation: New substation on East Eagle Street in East Boston, Mass.
- Route length: Approximately 5 miles
- Towns: East Boston, Chelsea and Everett, Mass.
- Line voltage: 115,000 volts (115-kV)
- Siting review completed by: Energy Facilities Siting Board and the Department of Public Utilities in Massachusetts
- Energy Facilities Siting Board approval: December 1, 2017
- Start of construction on transmission lines: First Quarter 2018
- Projected in-service date: Second Quarter 2019 for transmission line
Eversource is committed to updating neighbors, businesses, and all community members about project activities, especially during construction.
Before starting construction, Eversource is hosting open houses to give local residents and business owners an opportunity to learn more about the project, and ask questions of subject matter experts from Eversource.
Open House Schedule:
Thursday, February 8, 2018
Drop in between 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Homewood Suites by Hilton
145 Beech St.
Chelsea, MA 02150
Tuesday, February 27, 2018
Drop in between 3 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Edward G. Connolly Cener
90 Chelsea St.
Everett, MA 02149
For the Chelsea open house, information is also available in Spanish, Haitian Creole and Portuguese.
Additional open houses are being scheduled and will be posted shortly.
Keeping the lines of communication open is an important part of our work in your community. For more information about the project, send an email to TransmissionInfo@eversource.com or call 800-793-2202.