Mystic - East Eagle - Chelsea Reliability Project
Electric demand is growing in eastern Massachusetts. The area needs an additional substation and transmission capacity to support the reliable delivery of electric power to meet the region's current demand.
At Eversource, we're always working to serve you better. We are installing a new substation in the East Eagle neighborhood of East Boston, Massachusetts; and two, new, underground transmission lines to connect the new substation to existing substations in Everett and Chelsea.
We are also making minor improvements within the fenced area of the existing Mystic Substation on Broadway in Everett, and the existing Chelsea Substation on Willoughby Street in Chelsea.
The East Eagle - Mystic transmission line will be constructed under the streets in Chelsea and Everett, and connect to an existing duct bank connecting Chelsea and East Boston. The East Eagle - Chelsea transmission line will be located within an existing duct bank and manhole system in East Boston and Chelsea.
Information about the project is also available in:
* Click to Enlarge
- East Eagle Substation: New substation on East Eagle Street in East Boston, Mass.
- Route length: Approximately 5 miles
- Cities: Boston, Chelsea and Everett, Mass.
- Line voltage: 115,000 volts (115-kV)
- Siting review completed by: Energy Facilities Siting Board and the Department of Public Utilities in Massachusetts
- Energy Facilities Siting Board approval: December 1, 2017
- Start of construction on transmission lines: Second Quarter 2018
- Projected in-service date: Second Quarter 2019 for transmission line
First, please know that Eversource takes every safety precaution while working in local communities, and that all people working on the construction project carry identification. The project work will not interrupt electric service to homes or businesses.
Eversource is committed to updating neighbors, businesses, and all community members about project activities, especially during construction. Please keep in mind that the construction schedule may change due to weather or other unexpected circumstances.
Alford Street - Week of August 13, 2018:
- There will be a single lane closure at the corner of Alford and Dexter Streets for utility excavation from Monday, August 13, through Friday, August 17, 2018, from approximately 8 p.m. to 4 a.m., and Saturday, August 18, 2018, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Expect alternating traffic patterns during this period.
Week of August 13, 2018:
- There will be no Eversource transmission system work in Chelsea during the week of August 13, 2018.
Week of August 13, 2018:
Eversource will be working day and night shifts along Robin Street in Everett from Monday, August 13, to Saturday, August 18, 2018, from 7 a.m to 3 a.m. Due to this and other utility and roadway improvements in the area, the following restrictions will be in place during this period:
- Robin Street will be closed between Lynde Street and Beacham Street.
- Beacham Street eastbound access will be closed at Broadway.
- Dexter Street, Courtland Street, Thorndike Street, Lynde Street, Mystic Street and Bow Street will be restricted to local traffic only.
- Broadway, Route 16, 2nd Street and Market Street will be used to detour through the area.
Before starting construction in a community, we host public open houses to give local residents and business owners an opportunity to learn more about the project, and ask questions of our subject matter experts.
Open Houses were held in:
- Chelsea - February 8, 2018, and June 14, 2018.
- Everett - February 27, 2018
- East Boston - To be determined
As we begin construction in the local communities, we will mail start of construction letters to property owners along the route, and conduct door-to-door outreach to nearby property owners, residents and local businesses.
Traffic Management Plans
Working in consultation with town and state officials, including the Mass. Department of Transportation, Eversource has developed a set of Traffic Management Plans (TMPs) for each section of the Mystic - East Eagle - Chelsea Reliability Project.
The TMPs include conditions specific to routing as made by the EFSB in its final decision. The TMPs illustrate detailed site plans, showing underground line locations, hours of construction, area-specific traffic controls, and more.
Please note, TMPs are subject to change and may be updated.
For more information about the project, send an email to TransmissionInfo@eversource.com or call 800-793-2202.