Mystic - East Eagle - Chelsea Reliability Project
Electric demand is growing in eastern Massachusetts. The area needs an additional substation and transmission capacity to support the reliable delivery of electric power to meet the region's current demand.
At Eversource, we're always working to serve you better. We are installing a new 115/14-kilovolt (kV) substation in the East Eagle neighborhood of East Boston, Massachusetts, and two new 115-kV underground transmission lines to connect the new substation to existing substations in Everett and Chelsea.
We are also making minor improvements within the fenced area of the existing Mystic Substation on Broadway in Everett, and the existing Chelsea Substation on Willoughby Street in Chelsea.
The East Eagle - Mystic transmission line will be constructed under the streets in Chelsea and Everett, and connect to an existing duct bank connecting Chelsea and East Boston. The East Eagle - Chelsea transmission line will be located within an existing duct bank and manhole system in East Boston and Chelsea.
Information about the project is also available in:
* Click to Enlarge
- East Eagle Substation: New substation on East Eagle Street in East Boston, Mass.
- Route length: Approximately 5 miles
- Towns: East Boston, Chelsea and Everett, Mass.
- Line voltage: 115,000 volts (115-kV)
- Siting review completed by: Energy Facilities Siting Board and the Department of Public Utilities in Massachusetts
- Energy Facilities Siting Board approval: December 1, 2017
- Start of construction on transmission lines: Second Quarter 2018
- Projected in-service date: Second Quarter 2019 for transmission line
Eversource is committed to updating neighbors, businesses, and all community members about project activities, especially during construction. Please keep in mind that the construction schedule may change due to weather or other unexpected circumstances.
Robin Street - Week of May 21, 2018:
• There will be a road closure on Robin Street between Lynde and Courtland Streets for installation of a vault (manhole) on Monday, May 21, 2018, from approximately 6 p.m. to 3 a.m.
• On Sunday, May 20, there will be a road closure on Robin Street for installation of underground utility equipment from approximately 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. The Sunday work will take place only after municipal approval is received.
Beacham Street - Week of May 21, 2018:
- Construction will begin on Beacham Street on Tuesday, May 22.
- There will be a single lane closure on Beacham Street for utility excavation between Robin and Behen Streets on Tuesday, May 22, 2018, through Thursday, May 24, from approximately 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. That will result in alternating traffic patterns.
Before starting construction in a community, we host public open houses to give local residents and business owners an opportunity to learn more about the project, and ask questions of our subject matter experts.
Open Houses were held in:
- Chelsea - February 8, 2018
- Everett - February 27, 2018
- East Boston - To be determined
As we begin construction in the local communities, we will mail start of construction letters to property owners along the route, and conduct door-to-door outreach to nearby property owners, residents and local businesses.
Traffic Management Plans
Working in consultation with town and state officials, including the Mass. Department of Transportation, Eversource has developed a set of Traffic Management Plans (TMPs) for each section of the Mystic - East Eagle - Chelsea Reliability Project.
The TMPs include conditions specific to routing as made by the EFSB in its final decision. The TMPs illustrate detailed site plans, showing underground line locations, hours of construction, area-specific traffic controls, and more.
Please note, TMPs are subject to change and may be updated.
For more information about the project, send an email to TransmissionInfo@eversource.com or call 800-793-2202.