MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (June 24, 2021) – With the official first day of summer earlier this week, Eversource is encouraging customers to take advantage of its nationally recognized energy efficiency solutions to save money and energy while trying to stay cool this summer. On average, New Hampshire customers use approximately 25 percent more energy during the hot summer months, and Eversource—as an NHSaves utility partner—offers a variety of easy and budget-friendly energy efficiency measures that can help customers stave off heat while managing energy use.
“Staying cool and comfortable at home during the hot summer months can get costly and we want to help customers save energy and avoid spikes in their energy bills,” said Eversource Director of Energy Efficiency Residential Services Kate Peters. “On average, our customers in the Granite State use about 25% more electricity during the hot summer weather because air conditioners, fans and other appliances work overtime when it’s sweltering outside. Energy efficiency is the best way for customers to address the potential impact such a significant increase in usage can have on their bills.”
Immediate actions customers can take now to beat the heat this summer:
- Use the new Cooling Calculator on Eversource.com. The tool helps customers understand how much electricity is being used to keep a home cool and how adjusting the temperature impacts cost.
- Keep your air conditioner setting as warm as possible. For every degree higher on the thermostat, the air conditioner will use 1–3% less electricity.
Additional tips for keeping temperatures and energy costs down in the summer:
- Don’t block air flow. Keep air vents clear of obstructions such as furniture, curtains, and rugs. For those with central air and floor vents, consider using vent deflectors to direct and increase the reach of cooled air.
- Operate major appliances during the cooler parts of the day. Energy is conserved by using appliances like clothes washers and dryers early in the morning or late in the evening, when there is also less demand on the electric system.
- Keep blinds closed when it’s hot out to prevent unwanted heat from entering a home through windows. Using curtains, shades, and blinds can lower indoor temperatures by up to 20 degrees.
- Switch to LED lights. The energy efficient bulbs run cooler and last up to 25 times longer than incandescent lights.
- Set ceiling fans to rotate counterclockwise and at a higher speed in the summer to circulate the breeze more effectively, creating a cooling, wind chill effect.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR® rating when purchasing new appliances. Also, be sure to choose the right size when purchasing an air conditioning unit. An oversized or undersized AC unit is less effective and wastes energy.
For more information, customers should visit the Save Money & Energy section of Eversource.com.
Help is available for customers who need it
Eversource encourages customers to enroll in one of its payment plans or assistance programs if they need help with their energy bill. Customers in New Hampshire can call 844–273–7760 or visit Eversource.com to learn more about payment assistance options.
Eversource (NYSE: ES), celebrated as a national leader for its corporate citizenship, is the #1 energy company in Newsweek’s list of America’s Most Responsible Companies for 2021 and recognized as one of America’s Most JUST Companies. Eversource is New Hampshire’s largest electric utility, serving nearly 528,000 homes and businesses in 211 cities and towns, and also supplies water to approximately 9,500 homes and businesses in Hampton, North Hampton and Rye. Eversource is proud to be recognized as the #1 contributor to United Way in New Hampshire. Eversource harnesses the commitment of approximately 9,300 employees across three states to build a single, united company around the mission of safely delivering reliable energy and water with superior customer service. The #1 energy efficiency provider in the nation, the company is empowering a clean energy future in the Northeast, with nationally recognized energy efficiency solutions and successful programs to integrate new clean energy resources like solar, offshore wind, electric vehicles and battery storage, into the electric system. For more information, please visit eversource.com, and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn. For more information on our water services, visit aquarionwater.com.