Tips to Save Energy While Spending More Time at Home
We're here to help you save energy and stay comfortable while making the most out of your time indoors during COVID-19.
Here are a few of our favorite tips, and you can browse the full library below.
- Streaming and Saving – Streaming your favorite show or movie? Using a tablet to watch will use one-fourth the energy of a laptop.
- Dishwashing – You could save about $1,300 worth of energy and nearly 230 hours per year of personal time by using a dishwasher instead of handwashing. While you’re home, this is a great time to teach your kids how to use the dishwasher and other home appliances.
- Watch Your Windows – You can lose up to 15% of the heat in your house through unprotected windows, even if they’re closed. To make the most of your windows, open your drapes when it’s sunny to let the warm light in, and close your drapes at night to help insulate your windows.
- Best Temperatures – For the best performance and energy saving, ENERGY STAR recommends keeping your refrigerator at 35-38 degrees Fahrenheit, and your freezer at 0 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Energy Savings Plan - If you’re searching for ways to reduce your home’s energy consumption, utilize Eversource’s free Energy Savings Plan to receive information on how you can save. The tool will use data from your account and answers to a quick survey to create a personalized plan for reducing your energy use and cutting utility costs.