The gym you go to is full of new faces, you’ve vowed to eat healthier and to take up a new hobby in the new year. Why not add some energy efficiency goals for your home on your list of resolutions for 2018 too?
Check out these five, easy energy-efficient resolutions to kick off the new year.
- Make New Habits - Homeowners and renters can start making a difference in their home’s energy usage by taking small steps. Install a faucet aerator or a showerhead with a built-in aerator to give your water heater a break. And, make sure your chimney flue is closed and tightly sealed when your fireplace or wood stove is not in use to prevent heat from escaping.
- Plug in Power Strips – Don’t underestimate the power of the power strip. Remember that even when your TV, DVR or computer is turned off, electricity is still being used when it’s plugged in to a wall outlet. Instead, plug them into a power strip. Use the strip to turn your electronics on - and truly off.
- Hang up Thermal Curtains – Investing in thermal drapes can transform the comfort of your home and help lower your energy bill all year long. Close your curtains at night during the cold winter months to decrease the loss of heat through windows, and close them during hot summer days to keep your A/C unit from working overtime.
- Set up a Wi-fi Thermostat - Looking for a new gadget to connect with your Google Home or Amazon Echo home assistant? Installing a “smart” thermostat will put you in control of your home’s heating and cooling system. Prefer a more “low-tech” solution? A programmable thermostat will also help you save energy and stay comfortable.
- Upgrade Appliances – If any of your major appliances have seen better days and you’re interested in replacing them, look for the ENERGY STAR® logo. Energy-efficient refrigerators, washers and dryers can help you save money and energy throughout the new year and beyond.
For more energy-saving tips for your home, click here.
EE WITH ENOCH
Enoch Lenge is Eversource’s energy efficiency spokesman. If you’re a member of the media and would like to arrange an interview with Enoch, please contact a member of the Media Relations team.