Information on this page is for customers in 

{{ town-name }}

Indoor Electric Safety

The following tips will help you and your family use electricity safely.

Electrical Safety Basics

  • Your body can be a conductor of electricity. Take extra care to avoid touching bare wires, faulty appliances or electrical outlets.
  • If you are unsure whether a wire or electrical appliance is energized, always assume it is.
  • In the event that a loved one is injured in an electrical accident, immediately unplug or shut off the power source.
  • Never touch someone who is in contact with an electrical current until you know for certain that the power source has been shut off or unplugged.
  • Keep an all-purpose fire extinguisher on every floor of your home. Never attempt to put out an electrical fire with water.

Water and Electricity Don't Mix

  • Keep water and wet hands away from electricity and all electrical appliances when in use.
  • Install outlets with a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) in rooms where water and moisture are present, such as in a kitchen or bathroom.

Use Electrical Cords Wisely

  • Regularly check wires and extension cords for signs of wear and repair or replace those that are frayed or cracked.
  • Prolonged use of extension cords can cause overheating and fire.
  • Cords should never be nailed or stapled to a wall or placed under carpeting.

Electrical Safety Throughout the Home

  • Cover unused wall outlets with plastic safety caps to protect small children and pets.
  • Never overload outlets by using multiple adapters or power strips, which can result in a fire.
  • Unplug appliances while cleaning or repairing them.
  • During a lightning storm, turn off your television set, computers and other appliances.