Information on this page is for customers in 

{{ town-name }}

Gas Service FAQs

Information on this page helps answer questions for customers and their contractors doing building and remodeling.

When should I apply for gas service?

An application for new or additional gas service line, or an alteration to an existing gas service line, should be made as far in advance as possible to ensure adequate time for engineering and construction details to be arranged.

Is there a cost for a gas service?

There may be a charge to install a gas service line, although the amount varies depending on the length of the gas service and the proposed annual gas load. Please contact us for more information.

Do I have to submit a deposit?

Non-residential (commercial) customers will be asked for a deposit if any of the following exist:

  • New account with Eversource
  • Revised service due to increased load
  • Bills more than 45 days past due twice in the last 18 months
  • Accounts with a previous service shutoff for non-payment

Once the service line has been installed, are there requirements for a proper meter set?

Meter set requirements are the responsibility of the customer. Review the gas meter installation requirements for Connecticut or Massachusetts in order to properly prepare for your new natural gas meter.

When are easements required?

In the event Eversource must extend a gas main or gas service line through private property, the owner must supply an easement to Eversource without charge to Eversource, to allow the line to be installed.

The purpose of the easement is to obtain legal permission from an owner to allow us to install and service our facilities.

Builders must also supply easements for common driveways within their developments or in any case where the property on which the gas line is located will eventually belong to more than one owner. The easement must be recorded and filed by the customer with the appropriate Registry of Deeds.

The customer must provide a copy of both the legal description along with the appropriate site plan to us before installation of the gas line begins.

When should I contact 811 to mark my property?
Whether you're excavating, planting a new tree or putting on an addition, be sure to call 811 before you dig. Please note that your state has specific timelines on how far in advance you need to call before digging.

The 811 system was created to promote public safety, avoid costly damage to underground facilities, and reduce cost and time of notifications. Both federal and state laws require contractors and homeowners to notify the appropriate utility companies before excavating. Calling 811 simplifies this process by requiring only one phone call.