The delivery charge supports electric grid maintenance and upgrades, funds critical customer services and programs and includes mandated public policy fees that we are required to pass through to customers.
See the latest delivery rates
Usage impacts your delivery charge
Some of these charges are calculated based on the amount of energy you use. We multiply your usage (measured in kilowatt hours) by the rate to determine your charge. Using less energy can lower these charges.
Delivery rate components
There are several components that make up the delivery charge on your bill.
Operating and maintaining the electric grid
Power is generated, transmitted and distributed to customers through the electric grid. These charges help us operate and maintain core components—the transmission and distribution systems.
- Transmission Charge – The transmission system includes the large high-voltage power lines that deliver electricity over large distances from power plants to Eversource’s distribution system. This charge is for operating and maintaining this system.
- Distribution Charge (per kWh) – The distribution system includes utility poles and wires in and around your city or town that deliver electricity to your home or business. This charge is for operating and maintaining this system.
Customer programs and services
These charges fund critical customer services.
- Customer Charge – This fixed monthly fee covers costs related to billing, meter services, customer service and personnel.
System investments and upgrades
- Stranded Cost Recovery Charge - This charge helps fund the recovery of Eversource’s past investment costs, including expenses incurred through mandated power contracts and other long-term investments and obligations.
Taxes and surcharges
These items are not controlled by Eversource.
- Systems Benefits Charge – This charge funds energy efficiency programs for all customers as well as assistance programs, such as the Energy Assistance Program and Neighbor Helping Neighbor, for residential customers within certain income guidelines.