Simply using a broom to keep gas service equipment clear during the winter can help ensure safe use of natural gas.
Chimneys and vents for gas appliances should also be cleared following a major snow or ice storm to enable proper venting and prevent equipment malfunction and carbon monoxide poisoning. Make sure to locate your vents before the first storm of the season.
Here are some more winter gas safety tips:
- Remove snow and ice from the meter or appliance vent pipe carefully with a broom or by hand. Do not use a shovel because it can damage the meter.
- Do not shovel snow up against the meter or vent pipe.
- Remove icicles from overhead eaves and gutters to assure dripping water does not splash and freeze on the meter or vent pipes.
- Do not kick your gas meter to break or clear ice.
- Clear a path to the meter so Eversource employees or emergency responders can access it.
- Contact a qualified roofing vendor if you cannot safely remove the snow and ice yourself.