Infrastructure Management & Maintenance
Delivering safe, reliable natural gas service to your community and the communities Eversource serves is our top priority.
In keeping with that commitment, Eversource is always working to keep you safe and maintain and operate our systems at the highest standards.
Please be assured, we take the responsibility for the safe and secure delivery of natural gas through our gas pipelines in Connecticut and Massachusetts very seriously.
We are continually investing in our infrastructure to maintain a first-rate natural gas distribution system. We constantly monitor the integrity and maintenance of our system and are always evaluating new procedures, technologies and industry best practices to provide superior customer service.
Each year, we review system performance and identify necessary and valuable improvements to maintain a first-rate natural gas distribution system.
We invest millions of dollars each year to maintain the safety and integrity of our natural gas mains and services in Connecticut and Massachusetts.
- Invested $50 million in gas line improvement projects and replaced 29 miles of gas lines in 2017.
- Replaced more than 150 miles of gas mains since 2011.
- Invested $65 million in gas line improvement projects and replaced 41 miles of gas lines in 2017.
- Replaced more than 175 miles of gas mains since 2011.
We regularly review and evaluate our public awareness plan to effectively deliver gas safety messages to our customers, the public, local officials, emergency responders, and excavators and contractors who perform digging projects.
Integrity Management & Maintenance
We have a comprehensive maintenance and inspection program, and an effective leak management program that exceeds the requirements of federal and state pipeline safety regulations.
Our leak survey program includes:
- Semi-annual Surveys – High-pressure distribution lines and critical infrastructure pipes are surveyed for leaks twice a year. High-pressure lines are also patrolled an additional two times.
- Annual Surveys – In business districts, we conduct annual leak surveys over all gas distribution mains. Surveys are conducted from vehicles or on foot.
- Winter Survey – When cold weather and frost are prevalent, we survey all cast-iron mains on a 10-day cycle. The surveys continue until warmer weather returns.
- Tri-Annual Surveys – Every three years, we survey pipelines exposed to the atmosphere, including company-owned piping inside customers’ buildings. We meet or exceed state or federal regulations, which require surveys every three years on some types of pipelines and every five years on others.
In accordance with federal regulations, we test and inspect gas meters and associated piping to monitor corrosion and detect potential leaks before they become a hazard.
Pressure on the gas distribution system is maintained by specialized equipment positioned in strategic locations throughout the system.
At each location, additional over-pressure protection equipment monitors and limits pressure. We also monitor system pressures 24/7 at our natural gas control centers.
New Procedures, Technology & Industry Best Practices
We are always evaluating new procedures, technologies and industry best practices to perform at the top industry standards.
- Enhanced our QA/QC program. Quality management is insuring procedures, processes, technology and people work effectively to achieve excellence in safety, compliance, reliability and productivity.
- Constructed a new training facility in Berlin, Conn. The facility’s training yard features five main activity areas for safe, hands-on training of natural gas personnel.
- Implemented an Eversource-specific Operator Qualification Program, which includes third-party proctoring of all employee testing. We are the first New England company to move our online operator qualification testing to an offsite facility.
- Invested in state-of-the-art equipment that improves response time when isolating damaged mains. Our crews are fully trained and qualified using these systems to respond across our service territory.