Andrew Square to Dewar Street Reliability Project
As part of always working to serve you better, and to ensure that Eversource continues to reliably serve the City of Boston, Eversource is proposing to install a new, underground, 115-kilovolt (kV) transmission line.
The proposed 2.1-mile transmission line will connect Eversource's Andrew Square Substation to the Dewar Street Substation and be installed under streets in Dorchester and South Boston (see map below.) The proposed project also includes improvements within the existing fence lines of the substations.
The project information presented on this webpage is also available in:
Energy Facilities Siting Board
To construct and operate the new 115-kV transmission line, Eversource must file a petition with the Massachusetts Energy Facilities Siting Board (EFSB) for approval. The petition filing is part of the regulatory review process, as defined by Massachusetts state statutes.
On March 1, 2019, Eversource submitted the following Siting Petition to the EFSB:
The EFSB held a Public Comment Hearing on June 26, 2019, in Boston, where individuals and groups affected by the initial petition were given the opportunity to voice feedback to the Siting Board.
Click map to enlarge
- Route length: Approximately 2.1 miles
- City: Boston (Dorchester and South Boston), Mass.
- Line voltage: 115,000-volt (115-kV) underground transmission line
- Siting review by: Energy Facilities Siting Board (EFSB)
- Public Open Houses: October 10 & 11, 2018
- File Siting Petition with the EFSB: March 1, 2019
- EFSB Public Comment Hearing: June 26, 2019
- EFSB Evidentiary Hearings: December 2019
Estimated Timetable (subject to change):
- Tentative Decision from the EFSB: Second Quarter 2021
- Final Decision from the EFSB: Second Quarter 2021
- Pre-construction Open House*: Second Quarter 2021
- Start of construction*: Third Quarter 2021
- Projected in-service date*: Fourth Quarter 2022
* Pending all necessary siting and permit approvals
As the proposed project proceeds through the siting and permitting process, we will continue to engage town officials, residents, businesses, community groups and other stakeholders through municipal briefings, open houses, mailings and meetings – answering questions and listening to any feedback about the project.
For more information about the Andrew Square to Dewar Street Reliability Project, send an email to ProjectInfo@eversource.com or call 800-793-2202.