Winter Protection Plan
Customers who meet income eligibility or receive certain government benefits and lack the resources to pay their gas or electric bill may qualify for shutoff protection during the winter months.
The Winter Protection Plan protects your service from being shut-off from November 1 through May 1, with no late payment charges.
This protection must be renewed annually, beginning in October. Applications for Shutoff Protection can also be completed while applying for public energy assistance through a local Community Action Agency.
When participating in the program, customers are still encouraged to continue paying as much of their bill as possible, since the full amount will still be owed at the end of the protection period.
To be eligible, customers must meet one of the following criteria:
- Receive Aid to the Aged, Blind or Disabled (State Supplement); or Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC); or Medicaid; or Supplemental Security Income (SSI); or General Assistance.
- Their sole source of financial support is Social Security or Veteran's Administration.
- Their income falls below 60 percent of the state median income.
- Their circumstances threaten deprivation of food and the necessities of life if payment of a delinquent bill is required.
- They currently receive heating assistance.
For more information, or to enroll in the program, please call Eversource at 800-286-2828.