What is a competitive supplier or third-party supplier?
A competitive supplier is a company licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Utilities (DPU) to sell electric supply products to electricity consumers. Eversource customers have the option to choose a different supplier, so what does that mean?
Your Eversource electricity bill is broken into two main charges:
Your electricity bill will still come from Eversource, but the amount you pay for your supply charge, as well as where the electricity you use is generated, can be changed by choosing to purchase your power from a competitive supplier.
If you are currently a large commercial or industrial Basic Service Fixed Rate customer who chooses a different supplier, up to three months of your past billing will be recalculated to reflect the month-to-month Basic Service Variable rate. This adjustment may result in either a credit or debit.
What to Know About Switching Electric Suppliers
There’s a lot to consider when switching electric suppliers, from the contract to the marketing tactics. Here's what to ask and what to avoid.
What to ask a potential supplier
- Is the chosen supplier licensed in my state?
- What is the length of the contract I'm entering?
- Will my rate of supply change over time, or stay the same?
- Are there early termination fees?
- What if I move or discontinue service in the region?
- Can I switch to a different supplier?
What to avoid
- Eversource does not call or solicit door-to-door on behalf of any competitive energy supplier. Customers are urged to always decline any door-to-door offers or requests to discuss energy rates from someone claiming to be an Eversource employee.
- Never provide personal or financial information to anyone, in person, on the phone, or online, without verifying their credentials even if the individual seems legitimate or knows basic account information.
- All Eversource employees carry company-issued identification, and any contractors working with us carry documentation explaining the nature and location of their work.