Brighton Electric Avenue Substation Project
With the demand for electricity continuing to grow in the Allston-Brighton area, Eversource built a new substation on Electric Avenue in Brighton to help reliably deliver electricity and increase capacity to our customers.
At Eversource, we're always working to serve you better. To address reliability and capacity issues throughout the Allston, Brighton, and Watertown areas, Eversource installed two new 115-kilovolt (kV) transmission line segments. Eversource also constructed a new substation on Electric Avenue in Brighton; the new substation will connect to four existing substations around the region. Currently, we are installing 13.8-kV distribution lines along neighboring streets in the area.
At the substation site, new switchgear, transformers, associated metering, protective relaying, control wiring and a security fence have been installed to connect the area's 115-kV transmission line to the local 13.8-kV distribution system.
Department of Public Utilities
To construct and operate a new 115/14-kV substation, two new 115-kV underground transmission cables and an underground distribution conduit, Eversource filed a petition with the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities (DPU); the petition filing is part of the regulatory review process, as defined by Massachusetts state statutes.
- Electric Avenue Substation: New substation on Electric Avenue, Brighton
- Route Length: Approximately 3.7 miles through Allston, Brighton and Watertown
- Towns: Allston, Brighton, Watertown, Mass.
- Transmission Line Voltage: 115,000-kilovolts (115-kV)
- Distribution Line Voltage: 13.8-kilovolts (13.8-kV)
- Department of Public Utilities Approval: September 26, 2014
- Construction of Substation: Complete
- Construction of Transmission Lines: Complete
- In-Service Date: December 2016
- Construction of Distribution Lines: Second Quarter 2019
- Restoration of Disturbed Areas: Second Quarter 2019
- Cable Installation: End of 2020
Eversource is committed to updating neighbors, business and community members about project activities during construction. Construction will not interrupt electric service to homes or businesses. Also, please keep in mind the constructions schedule might be impacted by weather or unexpected circumstances.
All employees working on the project carry proper identification, and Eversource always makes safety a priority in all the work we do.
Week of June 24, 2019:
- Eversource will continue work on Electric Avenue, reconstructing the sidewalks.
- Sunday, June 23, 2019, and Monday, June 24, 2019: Eversource will continue roadway restoration for the Brighton Substation Project. Crews will be milling portions of North Beacon Street from the Charles River Bridge to Charles River Road during night hours of 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Week of June 24, 2019: Milling will take place on portions of Arsenal Street from Beechwood Avenue to Louise Street, and portions of North Beacon Street from Louise Street to Charles River Road. Please note: During this phase of restoration, parking restrictions will be in place from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
For more information about the project, send an email to ProjectInfo@eversource.com
or call 800-793-2202.