Community Relations and Economic Development
Fostering long-standing relationships and economic growth
Eversource Community Relations serves as the single point of contact and the face of our company for state and local government officials and business leaders. We are committed to initiating and fostering long-standing and professional relationships with community leaders. We partner on community priorities and leverage the full benefit of Eversource's operational, safety and advocacy experience to support the needs of town leaders, constituents and communities.
Community Relations' strong and positive relationships help maintain important two-way communications with the municipalities we serve and position us as a go-to resource for distributing key company information. Our Executive Vice President of Customer and Corporate Relations, who reports to the CEO, has direct oversight of Community Relations and Economic Development. The responsibilities of Specialists include:
- Responding to inquiries from community officials and actively engaging our in-house experts to resolve municipal concerns
- Providing public and community relations advice, counsel and services relating to local government and community policies
- Connecting internal departments with external partners
- Serving as conduit between the company and municipalities for various low-income, efficiency programs
- Providing regular updates to municipal officials on energy-related projects in their community
- Sharing external relationships with community leaders to accomplish key business objectives and enhance relationships with those leaders and their communities
During declared emergency events Eversource activates its robust Liaison Organization. Each community within the impacted area is assigned a dedicated Community Liaison to address specific community needs. That includes:
- Conducting continual proactive outreach so that communication channels are open and available to each municipality
- Acting as an advocate for their assigned municipality, contacting them in advance of, during and at the demobilization of an emergency event and help to escalate community priorities
- Providing ongoing communications including timely updates for large customer outages, crew locations, daily work plans and updates concerning impacts to critical facilities
Learn more about how to prepare your home or business in the event of a storm with our Storm Preparedness information.
Community Relations provides Community Grants to non-profit organizations within Eversource's service territory. In 2020, Community Relations awarded more than 250 grants totaling nearly $500,000.
Charitable grants range from $500 - $2,500 and are provided to community organizations that support one or more of Eversource's focus areas of giving:
Community Wellness and Basic Human Needs
- Clean Energy and Environmental Stewardship
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Community, Economic and Workforce Development
Learn more about applying for a Community Grant on our Charitable Contributions page.
Eversource and Community Relations are committed to engaging in economic development activities that support our communities and customers while creating economic growth and benefit in the service territory.
Eversource's work each day in the communities we serve also greatly impacts our local economies. This includes the hundreds of millions of dollars we invest in our energy delivery infrastructure, the employment of more than 9,000 employees across New England, grants for local economic and community development initiatives, the development of cost-efficiency renewable energy projects, and the implementation of our award-winning energy efficiency programs.
We are also proud to be recognized as one of America's Most Responsible Energy Companies. Our commitment to environmental sustainability and clean energy initiatives is an important component of our vision for how we conduct our business today and for future generations.
Other economic development activities include:
- Expanding our natural gas infrastructure in Connecticut and Massachusetts
- Investing in community initiatives and historic preservation through tax credit purchases
- Assisting with new business service connections and utility infrastructure upgrades to support new businesses
- Providing information and updates on Eversource enhancement and construction projects occurring in our communities to state, local and business officials
- Participating as a member and on boards of local business organizations, associations, economic development groups, Chambers of Commerce and other community meetings
- Leading strategic energy solutions for municipalities and businesses
- Advancing clean energy across the region through grid moderation, clean energy project development, electric vehicle expansion and battery storage
- Serving as the signature or major sponsor of charitable events that help people across our service territory
- Offering educational and skill development opportunities to support current and future workers.
If you have questions on storm preparedness, grants, economic development or other community relations topics, there is someone to assist you in each state.
Allison McLean | 603-634-3743