Massachusetts Application to Interconnect
Distributed generation (DG) refers to systems that generate electricity at or near where it will be used. This includes solar panels (photovoltaic arrays), wind turbines, cogeneration units or micro turbines to name a few.
The safe interconnection of a DG system to the Eversource power grid is our primary concern for you and your customers.
Note: Distributed generation project closeouts and meter installations may be delayed by 3 to 4 weeks due to higher than normal volume and several storm restorations in 2020. We are adding resources to complete this work as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Interconnection Application Options
There are two applications for interconnection. The one you use is determined by the size of the system you are connecting.
Review size requirements for Simplified or Expedited/Standard applications.
We also encourage you to read the Massachusetts Interconnection Tariff before submitting either application.
Simplified Application via PowerClerk
You will use the online PowerClerk portal to submit Simplified applications when applying for DG interconnection for the following:
Simplified Non-Area Network (fed from a radial circuit)
- A single-phase UL-Listed inverter-based system that is 15 kW AC or less
- A three-phase UL-Listed inverter-based system that is 25 kW AC or less
- Application fee: $0
Simplified Area Network
- A UL-Listed inverter-based system less than 1/15th of the customer’s minimum load and fed from a spot network
- A UL-Listed inverter-based system that is 15 kW AC or less and less than 1/15th of the customer’s minimum load and fed from an area network
- Application fee:
- Less than 3kW = $100
- Greater than 3kW = $300
You'll be prompted to set up a contractor account with Eversource the first time you log into PowerClerk.
Visit our quick start page to learn what to expect with PowerClerk.
Log Into Simplified Powerclerk
Choose this application if you intend to install a:
- System that is greater than 15 kW AC single phase or greater than 25 kW AC three phase
- System configuration that does not correspond with the service configuration (such as using single phase inverters on a three-phase service)
- Non-inverter-based generator, co-generator, wind, hydro or other facility
- System on a radial distribution circuit
In addition, your proposed generation equipment must meet IEEE 1547.1 standards.
Download and complete one of these PDF forms to submit the Expedited/Standard application for:
Eastern Massachusetts Region (Greater Boston, MetroWest, South Shore, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Plymouth, New Bedford)
Western Massachusetts Region (Springfield, Pittsfield, Amherst, Greenfield)
Application fee: $4.50 per kW (minimum fee of $300; maximum of $7,500)
Pre Application Request
Submit a pre-application request form to install a generation facility of 500 kW AC or greater. There is no fee to complete this form, but we recommend you view our hosting capacity map first.
Eastern Massachusetts pre-application
Western Massachusetts pre-application
Important Documents & Information
Visit our interconnection resource center for more guidelines on how to safely interconnect your customer's DG system to the Eversource grid.