Trees: Eversource and Our Customers' Responsibilities
Learn which trees Eversource will trim and remove, along with what homeowners are responsible for on an everyday basis, as well as during emergency situations.
What Eversource does:
- Routinely assess and schedule maintenance tree work to clear vegetation that may pose a threat to reliability or safety.
- Remove only those branches that are in direct contact with Eversource service lines and are causing chafing or mechanical strain. Service lines are the electric wires that run from the utility pole to a home or business.
- Eversource will temporarily shut off power so that work can be performed safely and will restore power once tree work is finished.
- During scheduled vegetation management, Eversource tree contractors will remove wood and branches. However, at an owner's request, wood chips or cut wood resulting from any trimming that takes place on or near a customer's property, may be kept.
– If a customer requests to keep the wood, it will be stacked in log lengths (usually greater than 12 feet) along the edge of the clearing limits within the right-of-way.
–If the clearing edge is in an environmentally sensitive area, we'll discuss an alternate stacking location.
Property owner's responsibilities:
- Customers are responsible for caring for and maintaining the trees on their property that could threaten to affect electric wire service from the pole to the home or business, or cable or telephone wires, and need to contact a qualified tree professional.
- If Eversource cuts down a tree that is located on a customer's property, stump removal will be the responsibility of the property owner.
- During unscheduled vegetation management or emergency situations, removal and disposal of any cut branches or trees on or near their property is the customer's responsibility.
*Please note that the information on this page applies to our distribution vegetation management program only (the poles and wires on the roadways next to your house).