Seaport Transmission Line Relocation Project
To accommodate the new alignment of Northern Avenue in Boston’s Seaport District, Eversource is proposing to relocate two existing 115-kiloVolt (kV) transmission lines.
At Eversource, we're always working to serve you better. To support economic growth and ongoing redevelopment projects throughout the Boston Seaport district, including the long-planned reconfiguration of public streets, Eversource, in collaboration with WS Development, a local real estate firm, is proposing to relocate approximately 700 linear-feet of existing underground 115-kV transmission lines. WS Development asked Eversource to relocate the underground transmission lines to allow for construction of new buildings. The current location of the transmission lines beneath a parking lot will be relocated into new conduit and laid beneath the revised alignment of Northern Avenue.
WS Development: A local real estate firm which owns several buildings and parking lots in the Seaport District and has been working on the development of the Seaport neighborhood since 2006. For more information on the redevelopment in the Seaport, visit www.wsdevelopment.com.
- Route Length: Approximately 700 linear-feet
- City: Boston (Seaport District)
- Line Voltage: 115,000-volt (115-kV) underground transmission line
- Permits Reviewed By City of Boston
Estimated Timetable (subject to change):
- Start of construction*: September 2020
- Projected in-service date*: April 2022
* Pending all necessary permit approvals from the City of Boston.
First, please know that Eversource takes every safety precaution while working in local communities and that all people working on the construction project carry identification. The project work will not interrupt electric service to homes or businesses.
Eversource is committed to updating neighbors, businesses and all community members about project activities, especially during construction. Please keep in mind that the construction schedule may change due to weather or other unexpected circumstances.
Week of September 20, 2021
- Eversource crews will be working in Triangle Park on the corner of Seaport and Pier 4 Boulevards, in our work zones on Sleeper Street and Northern Avenue, and on Northern Ave in front of Waterfront Park. This work is required for the new connection to the existing transmission line. Work hours will be Monday through Sunday 7:00 am to 7:00 pm.
- There will be no lane closures, lane shifts or parking restrictions on Pier 4 Blvd as part of this work. Sleeper Street will be closed from Seaport Boulevard and will be detoured down Pier 4 Blvd, but it will be accessible one way from Northern Avenue. Northern Avenue will become one-way traffic from Courthouse Way to Sleeper Street. Northern Ave in front of Waterfront Park will remain two-way traffic. Police Details will be present and steel plates will be used at the end of the shift to cover open excavations.
Eversource is committed to engaging city officials, residents, businesses, community groups, and other stakeholders about upcoming project activities through municipal briefings, mailings, virtual meetings and door-to-door outreach, while adhering to COVID-19 social distancing and other related health and safety guidelines.
Keeping the lines of communication open is an important part of our work in your community. For more information about the proposed Seaport Transmission Line Relocation Project, send an email to ProjectInfo@eversource.com
or call 800-793-2202.