Leadership in Transmission
Eversource is improving the reliability of the electric grid with a number of significant construction projects involving high-voltage transmission lines in Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. We operate New England’s largest energy delivery system.
At Eversource, we're always working to serve you better. Committed to reliability and safety, we are currently constructing multiple major projects to maintain and upgrade the transmission system. Eversource manages nearly 2,300 miles of transmission corridors or rights of way. Our investment in the transmission system from 2019-2023 is expected to be approximately $3.35 billion.
In addition to reliability benefits, these projects will provide greater access to newer, more efficient, and cleaner generating plants. Transmission infrastructure projects also help our communities with tax revenues.
WORKING TOWARD PRICE STABILITY
Eversource is partnering with New England’s policy leaders to address infrastructure needs to manage volatile energy markets and the potential for skyrocketing prices.
With the need for new sources of clean, affordable energy in New England greater than ever, and the Northern Pass transmission project still the most advanced proposal for bringing low-cost, clean energy into the region, Eversource remains fully committed to advancing the Northern Pass project. We welcome the thorough review of our appeal by the New Hampshire Supreme Court on May 15, 2019. Northern Pass will provide New England customers with price stability by importing clean hydropower and creating long-term cost savings.
TRANSMISSION RELIABILITY INITIATIVES
As New England’s businesses and population grow, and the demand for electricity increases, Eversource is working proactively with state and town officials to ensure that our electric system keeps pace with our customers’ evolving needs.
We have many major transmission initiatives underway in Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Hampshire designed to maintain the reliability of the region’s electric grid. We're committed to providing reliable service to the 500 cities and towns where we live and work.
BENEFITS OF SYSTEM RELIABILITY
Power line upgrades benefit all of us by:
- Providing electric reliability, including
- Adequacy – The ability to supply the electrical demand and energy requirements of customers at all times
- Resiliency – The ability to harden the power grid to prevent damage from extreme weather and other disasters
- Security – The ability of the electric system to withstand sudden disturbances or unanticipated loss of system elements, including attacks from unfriendly sources
- Supporting communities with economic development and job creation
- Connecting customers to competitively priced and cleaner sources of power throughout the region
- Improving the environment as the result of a decrease in air emissions from reduced operation of less-efficient power plants.
Rights-of-Way Guidelines: Eight information sheets about rights-of-way uses. A right of way is the corridor of land that Eversource uses to access, construct, operate and maintain its high-voltage system, using best management practices for safety and reliability.
- Electric and Magnetic Fields: An informational brochure to help you better understand electric and magnetic fields (EMF). We rely on the consensus of scientific industry leaders, including the World Health Organization, when developing EMF-related policies and procedures.
- Transmission Contractors: Work Rules & Training
Keeping the lines of communication open is an important part of our work in your community. For more information, send an email to TransmissionInfo@eversource.com or call 800-793-2202.