Winter Safety Tips
Did you know accumulated snow and ice can damage gas meters and pipes?
Keeping this equipment clear of snow and ice will help ensure your gas system is working safely and reliably. Simply use a broom or your hand to clear the equipment.
Chimneys and vents for gas appliances should also be cleared following a major snow or ice storm to enable proper venting, two-way air flow and prevent equipment malfunction or carbon monoxide poisoning. Make sure to locate your vents before the first storm of the season.
Please keep the following safety tips in mind as well:
- Remove snow and ice from the meter or appliance vent pipe carefully with a broom or by hand. Do not use a shovel because it can damage the meter.
- Do not shovel snow up against the meter or vent pipe. After clearing snow from your roof, double-check to make sure your meter and vents are clear.
- Remove icicles from overhead eaves and gutters to assure dripping water does not splash and freeze on the meter or vent pipes. Contact a qualified roofing vendor if you cannot safely remove the snow and ice yourself.
- Do not kick your gas meter to break or clear ice.
- Clear a path to the meter so Eversource employees or emergency responders can access it.
- Never use your gas stove as a heating source.