Appliance Safety

Whether you are cooking, heating water, drying clothes or heating or cooling your home − natural gas is a versatile fuel option.

When used properly, natural gas is safe, efficient and reliable. Follow these helpful tips for continued safe use and enjoyment of your appliances:

  • The flame on your gas appliances should burn with a clear blue color. A yellow flame may indicate that your burner isn't operating efficiently.
  • Leave service to the experts. If your flame is yellow, have a qualified technician perform any needed adjustments. Never try to fix gas burners yourself.
  • Look for the blue ENERGY STAR seal when purchasing a gas appliance. It certifies that the equipment design meets strict safety standards.
  • Keep your appliances clean and maintained. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for care and operation.
  • Because natural gas needs oxygen to burn properly, be sure to keep the area around your furnace and water heater clear of items that could block air circulation.
  • Signs of poor ventilation include indoor wetness (condensation, especially around chimneys), an unusual smell that doesn't go away, sick houseplants, soot in your home, yellow or wavering flames, and a pilot light that keeps going out.
  • Keep papers, cleaning fluids, glue, gasoline, varnish, paints, curtains and rags away from furnaces, water heaters, ranges and dryers.
  • Never use a gas range for space heating.
  • Warn your children not to play near or around gas appliances, especially fireplaces, stoves, ovens and furnaces. If possible, have a Underwriters Laboratory (UL) approved fire extinguisher in your home.
  • Keep flues and chimneys clear. Have your flue pipe and chimney checked by your heating contractor to make sure they're not blocked with nests, branches, debris, etc.
  • In the winter, keep your meter, regulator vents and any outdoor piping free of snow and ice.