Hanover Road presents an important wetland preservation area and a large undeveloped forest management area. This property is home to a diverse wildlife population and a pond with one of the largest beaver dams in the area. Historically, the land was used as a grazing area for farm animals.
Other nearby open space properties include the Upper Paugussett State Forest, Rocky Glen State Park Scenic Reserve, Treadwell Park (Town of Newtown), and Lake Lillinonah (Lake Lillinonah Authority). Together these properties comprise an important conservation area with varied recreational opportunities.
- Eversource-managed hunting area, wetland conservation area, managed vegetation within the utility corridor.
- Access: Informal parking opportunities along Hanover road
- Location: Newtown, Conn.
- Size: 54 acres
- Recreation: Bowhunting (Permit only), Bird Watching
- Features: Eversource managed bowhunting area, wooded wetlands and uplands, managed forest, beaver pond.
- Wildlife: Upland species, wetland species, hawks, turkey vultures, beaver dam.
How to Get There
Take exit 10 off I-84W for US-6W, turn right onto CT-34W/US-6W/Church Hill Rd, turn right on the Boulevard. Continue straight onto Hanover Road.