Brighton Electric Avenue Substation Reliability Project
With the demand for electricity continuing to grow in the Allston-Brighton area, Eversource built a new substation on Electric Avenue in Brighton to help reliably deliver electricity and increase capacity to our customers.
At Eversource, we're always working to serve you better. To address reliability and capacity issues throughout the Allston, Brighton, and Watertown areas, Eversource installed two new 115-kilovolt (kV) transmission line segments. Eversource also constructed a new substation on Electric Avenue in Brighton; the new substation will connect to four existing substations around the region. Currently, we are installing 13.8-kV distribution lines along neighboring streets in the area.
At the substation site, new switchgear, transformers, associated metering, protective relaying, control wiring and a security fence have been installed to connect the area's 115-kV transmission line to the local 13.8-kV distribution system.
Department of Public Utilities
To construct and operate a new 115/14-kV substation, two new 115-kV underground transmission cables and an underground distribution conduit, Eversource filed a petition with the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities (DPU); the petition filing is part of the regulatory review process, as defined by Massachusetts state statutes.
Eversource received approval from the DPU to construct the Electric Avenue Substation Reliability Project on September 26, 2014.
- Electric Avenue Substation: New substation on Electric Avenue, Brighton
- Route Length: Approximately 3.7 miles through Allston, Brighton and Watertown
- Towns: Allston, Brighton, Watertown, Mass.
- Transmission Line Voltage: 115,000-kilovolts (115-kV)
- Distribution Line Voltage: 13.8-kilovolts (13.8-kV)
- Department of Public Utilities Approval: September 26, 2014
- Construction of Substation: Complete
- Construction of Transmission Lines: Complete
- Construction of Distribution Lines: Fourth Quarter 2018
- Projected In-Service Date: Third Quarter 2019
- Final Restoration of Disturbed Areas: Fourth Quarter 2019
Before starting construction in a community, Eversource will complete door-to-door outreach, distributing start of construction letters and answering questions or concerns of the community.
For more information about the project, send an email to TransmissionInfo@eversource.com
or call 800-793-2202.