Maromas consists of 995 heavily wooded acres in the southeastern section of Middletown, Connecticut. It is bordered by the Connecticut River and accounts for one of the largest contiguous forests on the western side of the river.
Historically, land in the Maromas region was mined for pegmatite, a granite like rock. The word "Maromas" may have been derived from the old English word "marmoric" pertaining to marble, in light of the underlying granite and "White Rocks."
Rock outcroppings characterize this area, which has matured into a diverse habitat, including a tidal marsh, Hubbard Brook, and two freshwater ponds. There are several utility right-of-ways located on the property.
Other nearby open space properties include Cockaponset State Forest, Meshomasic State Forest, Dart Island State Park, Connecticut Valley Hospital Lands, TNC Spiderweed Preserve, and the Silvio O. Conte National Fish & Wildlife Refuge.
CT DEEP Cooperative Wildlife Management Area, 74-acre Connecticut Forest and Park Association (CFPA) conservation easement, managed vegetation within the utility corridor, 2.5 miles of marked (blue-blazed) trails.
- Access: Informal parking along River Road, Freeman Road, Aircraft Road, Bear Hill Road, and Maromas Road.
- Location: Middletown, Conn.
- Size: 995 acres
- Recreation: Hunting (Permit Only), Hiking, Fishing, Wildlife viewing, Bird watching, Wildlife & Nature photography.
- Features: Frontage on Connecticut River; CT DEEP managed hunting area; Large managed forest, rock outcroppings, vernal pools; Undeveloped, rolling terrain; Mattabesset (New England Scenic) Trail; Hubbard Brook; Tidal marsh; Freshwater ponds; Scenic overlooks.
- Wildlife: Waterfowl, Vernal pool species, Grassland birds, Deer, Turkey,
- Trail Map (PDF)
- Scovill Loop Trails (PDF)
How To Get There
Take I-91 (South from Hartford, North from New Haven) to exit 22 and merge onto CT-9S toward Middletown, Continue onto CT-17S, continue onto CT-9S, Take exit 10 to merge onto CT-154S/Aircraft Rd toward Higganum. Continue to follow Aircraft Rd, Turn right onto River Rd. (River Rd will give you access to the other locations)