Tips for Every Home
Whether you are cooking, heating water, drying clothes or heating or cooling your home − natural gas is safe, efficient and reliable.
Follow these helpful tips for continued safe use and enjoyment of your appliances. If you'd prefer, this information is also available as a one page PDF. (Esta información de seguridad para el gas natural está disponible en español.)
Hire a professional.
Always use a licensed professional to
install or repair any gas appliances.
Look for a clear blue flame.
A yellow or orange flame may indicate
your burner is not burning efficiently.
Gas fireplace? Keep
people, pets, clothing
and furniture away.
Turn off after use, or when you’re not in
Turn off your space
heater before bed or
leaving the house.
If you notice lint buildup in your space
heater, contact a professional to clean it.
Never use a gas oven or range top as a space heater.
Using a gas appliance the wrong way can cause deadly carbon monoxide. If the power goes out, bundle up in layers of clothes and blankets instead.
Keep your water
heater at 140° F or less.
Get an annual inspection by a licensed
plumbing, heating contractor or cooling contractor.
Install a carbon
Make sure fuel-powered appliances are
properly vented so CO doesn’t build up.
clean and clear.
Have your heating contractor make
sure they’re not blocked.
Always keep meters
and vents clear.
Carefully remove snow and ice with a
broom or by hand. Never shovel or kick
your gas meter, as it can cause damage.
Water heaters, ranges and dryers, too.
Flammables include paper, wood,
cleaning fluid, glue, gasoline, varnish,
paints, curtains and rags.