Improving Electric System Reliability
Reliably transmitting and distributing power is our full-time commitment. We're always improving our system so it can meet the demands that are put on it.
Here are some of the improvements we’re making:
- Installing automated switches that allow us to remotely reconnect some customers, reducing the lengths of some outages to minutes
- Replacing wooden transmission structures with strong steel structures
- Replacing poles on our distribution system as part of a targeted storm resiliency program.
- Investing millions of dollars each year on natural gas line upgrades and replacements in Connecticut and Massachusetts
Other maintenance steps we take include:
- Trimming trees responsibly. Our vegetation management program balances the needs of reliable electric service and the natural beauty of our communities.
- Pioneering the use of drones for line inspections.
- Regular surveys of our electric and gas systems.
- Constantly evaluating and adopting new processes, best practices and technology to further improve our maintenance and operation of our systems.
We’re working every day to make our already strong reliability even stronger. It’s all part of powering the possible.