Westfield Reliability Project
As part of our everyday effort to deliver reliable energy, we recently completed construction of the Westfield Reliability Project. This project is one of several designed to strengthen the electric system serving Pittsfield, Greenfield and surrounding areas.
At Eversource, we're always working to serve you better. We installed a new circuit about 3 miles long on an existing 115-kilovolt (kV) overhead transmission line in Westfield, Massachusetts. These power lines were installed on existing structures along the right of way (power line corridor) from the Pochassic Substation (near Oakdale Avenue) to the Buck Pond Substation (near Medeiros Way).
In addition, a new facility similar to a substation, called the Atwater Switching Station, was constructed on Eversource-owner property next to the Pochassic Substation. We also reconfigured a 115-kV line in a right of way near Pochassic Substation to connect to the new Atwater Switching Station.
Improvements were also made within the Buck Pond and Elm Substations, which are located on Westfield Gas & Electric property.
* Click to Enlarge
- Route length: 3 miles
- Line location: Westfield, Mass.
- Line voltage: 115,000 volt (115-kV) transmission line
- Siting review by: Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities (DPU)
- Public Open House: June 15, 2017
- Filed Environmental Notification Form for review under the Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act (MEPA): February 15, 2018
- Massachusetts DPU Section 72 and Chapter 40A Filing: April 17, 2018
- DPU Public Comment Hearing: August 13, 2018
- DPU Evidentiary Hearings: November 14-15, 2018
- DPU Decision: August 2, 2019
- Start of construction: August 2019
- In-service date: June 2020
Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities (DPU)
This project required approval from the DPU through the Section 72 and Chapter 40A application process.
On August 2, 2019, Eversource received approval from the DPU to construct the Westfield Reliability Project. See the DPU Final Order.
Beginning with municipal briefings and community outreach efforts, Eversource engages city officials, residents, businesses, and other stakeholders throughout the lifecycle of a project to inform, answer questions and listen to concerns about the project.
As the project proceeds through restoration, Eversource is committed to continuing to update the Westfield community about construction activities in their area.
For more information, send an email to ProjectInfo@eversource.com or call 800-793-2202.