Westfield Reliability Project
Eversource is proposing to construct a new transmission line and a new switching station in Westfield, Mass. This upgrade is one of a group of projects designed to improve the reliability of the electric system serving the Pittsfield - Greenfield area, both today and in the future.
At Eversource, we're always working to serve you better. The new overhead line would be installed on existing structures along Eversource’s right of way from the Pochassic Substation (near Oakdale Avenue in Westfield) to the Buck Pond Substation (near Madeiros Way in Westfield).
We also would construct the new Atwater Switching Station adjacent to the existing Pochassic Substation, and make upgrades to the existing Buck Pond Substation – all while remaining on Eversource property.
* Click to Enlarge
Project Facts (proposed route):
- Route length: 3 miles
- Line location: Westfield, Mass.
- Line voltage:115,000 volt (115-kV) transmission line
- Siting review by: Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities (DPU)
Estimated Timetable (subject to change):
- Public Open House: June 15, 2017
- Filed Environmental Notification Form for review under the Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act (MEPA): February 15, 2018
- Massachusetts DPU Section 72 and Chapter 40A Filing: Second Quarter 2018
- DPU Public Comment Hearing(s): To be scheduled by the DPU
- Start of construction (pending all necessary approvals): Second Quarter 2019
- Estimated in-service date: Fourth Quarter 2019
Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities (DPU)
This project requires approval from the DPU through the Section 72 and Chapter 40A application process. The regulatory process also requires approval from local, state and federal permitting agencies, including environmental agencies.
The public and other interested stakeholders are given the opportunity to participate in the siting process through the DPU-sponsored public hearing(s), by submitting written comments to the DPU, as well as by seeking to either intervene as a party or to participate as a limited participant in the DPU proceeding.
Owners of property abutting and near the project will be informed of the public hearing date(s) and are encouraged to participate. To learn more about the siting process and how to participate, visit the DPU website.
We are engaging town officials, residents, businesses, community groups and other stakeholders through municipal briefings, an open house and meetings – answering questions and listening to concerns about the project.
We will continue these outreach efforts as the project proceeds through the siting process and into construction.
For more information, send an email to TransmissionInfo@eversource.com or call 800-793-2202.