Greater Hartford - Central Connecticut Reliability Project
Eversource is preparing to construct a new 115-kilovolt (kV) transmission line in the Greater Hartford and central Connecticut area. These improvements will strengthen our system and enhance our ability to reliably serve electrical demand, in keeping with national and regional reliability standards.
At Eversource, we're always working to serve you better. The 3.7-mile hybrid overhead and underground line will be constructed between our Newington Substation in Newington, Connecticut, and our Southwest Hartford Substation in Hartford, passing through portions of Newington, West Hartford and Hartford. The new line would be located within Eversource's existing transmission and distribution line rights of way, under town streets and along the existing Amtrak rights of way.
To improve system reliability, cost-effectiveness and the environment, we will also be upgrading our Newington and Southwest Hartford Substations with new equipment. The project will also allow power to be redirected – for example, north to south – during times of high customer demand.
* Click to Enlarge
- Route length: Approximately 3.7 miles
- Line Location: Newington, West Hartford and Hartford, Connecticut
- Line voltage: 115,000-volt (115-kV) transmission line
- Substations: Substation upgrades at Newington Substation in Newington and Southwest Hartford Substation in Hartford.
- Siting review by: The Connecticut Siting Council (CSC)
- Public Open Houses: January 20, 2016, and April 27, 2017
- Application filing to the CSC: June 7, 2017
- CSC Public Hearing: August 22, 2017
- CSC approval issued: February 1, 2018
- Development & Management Plans (D&M) (construction plans) for underground transmission line and substation modifications to CSC for approval: July 6, 2018
Next Steps (estimated timetable, subject to change):
- Overhead Transmission Line D&M Plan to CSC for approval: Third Quarter 2018
- CSC Decision on D&M Plans: Third Quarter 2018
- Start of construction (pending all necessary approvals): Third Quarter 2018
- Estimated in-service date: Mid-2019
Connecticut Siting Council (CSC) Development & Management Plans (D&M Plans)
Following receipt of the CSC's application approval, Eversource is required to submit construction plans, called Development & Management Plans (D&M Plans), to the CSC for its approval before construction can begin. The D&M Plans include further design detail, final site plan, construction sequence, traffic management plans, work hours and laydown/staging areas.
On July 6, 2018, Eversource submitted the following plans to the CSC:
Eversource intends to submit the remaining D&M Plan for the new 115-kV transmission line -- overhead segment -- to the CSC in the coming months. The D&M Plans will be posted on this webpage as they become available.
For more information about the Greater Hartford - Central Connecticut Reliability Project, send an email to TransmissionInfo@eversource.com or call 800-793-2202.