1768 LATTICE TOWER REPLACEMENT PROJECT
Eversource is rebuilding an existing transmission line from East Granby Junction in East Granby, Conn., through Suffield, Conn., and ending in Agawam, Mass.
Maintaining infrastructure is one of the many ways Eversource supports the safe and secure transmission of electricity throughout the region. Eversource is rebuilding an existing 115-kilovolt (kV) electric line along approximately 7.5 miles of Eversource rights-of-way (transmission line corridor), from East Granby Junction, traversing through portions of the Town of Suffield to just over the Connecticut and Massachusetts border into Agawam, Mass.
This existing portion of the 1768 Line was originally built in 1924. The project is replacing all existing lattice structures (70 in total) with new weathering steel monopoles. Eversource is also replacing both the six conductors (wires) that currently make up the transmission line with a new, slightly thicker wire and the existing shield wire with two new optical ground wires (OPGW). The OPGW is designed to improve electric reliability by enabling communications between substations. One (1) OPGW will extend approximately 2.5 additional miles along existing steel pole structures to the South Agawam Substation for future use.
*Click to enlarge
- Overhead line rebuild route length: 7.5 miles (approximately 2.5 additional miles of OPGW to the South Agawam Substation)
- Location: East Granby, Conn.; Suffield, Conn.; Agawam, Mass.
- Line voltage: 115,000-volt (115-kV) transmission line
- Siting review by: The Connecticut Siting Council (CSC)
- Petition filing to the Connecticut Siting Council (CSC): August 26, 2020
- CSC Decision: Conditional approval received on December 17, 2020 with requirement that Eversource submit a construction plan, called a Development and Management Plan (D&M Plan), to address locations in or near wetland resource areas, as well as the removal of groundwater from the construction site.
- Start of construction*: First Quarter 2021
- Estimated in-service date*: Third Quarter 2021
*Pending all necessary approvals
Beginning with municipal briefings and other community outreach efforts, Eversource engages the community throughout the lifecycle of a Project to provide information, answer questions and address concerns.
Pending all necessary approvals, Eversource is committed to updating neighbors, businesses, and the community about construction activities in the Project area.
For more information about the 1768 Lattice Tower Replacement Project, please email ProjectInfo@eversource.com or call 800-793-2202.