Barnstable Reliability Project
Eversource is separating two overhead transmission lines along an existing right of way (power line corridor) in Barnstable, Mass.
This upgrade is one of a group of projects designed to improve the reliability of the electric system serving the Southeastern Massachusetts and Greater Cape Cod area, both today and in the future.
The project includes the separation of approximately 3.3 miles of 115-kilovolt (kV), overhead transmission lines between Shootflying Hill Road and Eversource’s Barnstable Switching Station in Barnstable. Eversource is relocating one overhead transmission line onto a new set of structures that would be installed within the existing power line corridor.
* Click to Enlarge
- Route length: Approximately 3.3 miles
- Town: Barnstable, Massachusetts
- Line voltage: 115,000-volt (115-kV) overhead transmission line
- Siting review by: Department of Public Utilities (DPU)
- Public Information Session: March 12, 2019
- File Siting Petition with the DPU: June 26, 2019
- DPU Public Hearing: November 4, 2019
- DPU Evidentiary Hearing: April 7, 2020
- DPU Approval: December 15, 2020
Estimated Timetable (subject to change, pending necessary approvals):
- Start of construction: March 2021
- Estimated in-service date: December 2021
First, please know that Eversource takes every safety precaution while working in local communities, and that all people working on the construction project carry identification.
Eversource is committed to updating neighbors, businesses and the community about project activities, especially during construction. Please note that the project work will not interrupt electric service to homes or businesses.
Project Construction began March 2021 and will continue through the end of 2021. Work hours during construction will typically be 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Due to unexpected weather or other circumstances, the work hours may be extended or performed on a Sunday.
Week of October 25, 2021:
- Off Kidd’s Hill Road within the right-of-way (powerline corridor), crews will be working to install conductor and OPGW onto new structures.
- Off Phinney’s Lane within the right-of-way (powerline corridor), crews will be pulling ropes, and installing conductor and OPGW onto new structures.
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC UTILITIES
To construct and operate the new overhead transmission line, Eversource must file a petition with the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities (DPU) for approval. The petition filing is part of the regulatory review process, as defined by Massachusetts state statutes.
The DPU held a Public Comment Hearing on November 4, 2019, in Hyannis, Mass.
Files related to Eversource's filing are below.
Eversource continues to engage town officials, residents, businesses, community groups and other stakeholders through municipal briefings, open houses, mailings and meetings – answering questions and listening to any concerns about the project.
We hosted a public information session in Barnstable on March 12, 2019, to give interested stakeholders an opportunity to learn more about the project, ask questions, and provide feedback.
As the proposed project proceeds through the siting and permitting process, we will continue our community outreach efforts.
For more information about the project, please send an email to ProjectInfo@eversource.com or call 800-793-2202.