Barnstable Reliability Project
Eversource is proposing to separate two overhead transmission lines along an existing right of way (power line corridor) in Barnstable, Mass.
This upgrade is one of a group of projects designed to improve the reliability of the electric system serving the Southeastern Massachusetts and Greater Cape Cod area, both today and in the future.
The proposed project includes the separation of approximately 3.3 miles of 115-kilovolt (kV), overhead transmission lines between Shootflying Hill Road and Eversource’s Barnstable Switching Station in Barnstable. Eversource proposes to relocate one overhead transmission line onto a new set of structures that would be installed within the existing power line corridor.
* Click to Enlarge
- Route length: Approximately 3.3 miles
- Town: Barnstable, Massachusetts
- Line voltage: 115,000-volt (115-kV) overhead transmission line
- Siting review by: Department of Public Utilities (DPU)
- Public Information Session: March 12, 2019
- File Siting Petition with the DPU: June 26, 2019
- DPU Public Hearing: November 4, 2019
- DPU Evidentiary Hearing: April 7, 2020
Estimated Timetable (subject to change, pending necessary approvals):
- Petition Decision from the DPU: Fourth Quarter 2020
- Start of construction: First Quarter 2021
- Estimated in-service date: December 2021
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC UTILITIES
To construct and operate the new overhead transmission line, Eversource must file a petition with the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities (DPU) for approval. The petition filing is part of the regulatory review process, as defined by Massachusetts state statutes.
The DPU held a Public Comment Hearing on November 4, 2019, in Hyannis, Mass.
Files related to Eversource's filing are below.
Eversource continues to engage town officials, residents, businesses, community groups and other stakeholders through municipal briefings, open houses, mailings and meetings – answering questions and listening to any concerns about the project.
We hosted a public information session in Barnstable on March 12, 2019, to give interested stakeholders an opportunity to learn more about the project, ask questions, and provide feedback.
As the proposed project proceeds through the siting and permitting process, we will continue our community outreach efforts.
For more information about the project, please send an email to ProjectInfo@eversource.com or call 800-793-2202.