Today, the majority of New England's electricity is generated using fossil fuels like natural gas, oil, and coal. This balance will shift in the coming years as the state and the region invest in carbon-free and renewable resources to meet environmental policies and consumers' desire for cleaner electricity.
Renewable energy options hold great promise for our future and with rebates and incentives offered through state and federal programs, more customers are becoming interested in getting involved.
Eversource owns and operates a fleet of renewable generation sources that includes:
- Northern Wood Power - a 50 MW biomass facility fueled by wood chips in Portsmouth, NH producing clean, renewable electricity for approximately 50,000 homes. The facility replaced a coal-burning boiler at Schiller Station - reducing air emissions by more than 400,000 tons annually. The facility also created a new wood ship market for New Hampshire's forest industry.
- Nine hydroelectric power plants throughout New Hampshire, several of which are over a century old and still operating. These energy resources are 100-percent renewable, and combine to produce a total of 70.5 MW of electricity. Click here for more information on Eastman Falls FERC Relicensing Correspondence.
- A 51 kW solar array at our Energy Park facility in Manchester, NH. The 183 photovoltaic panel array is one of the largest in New Hampshire and offsets more than 100,000 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions each year.
- Silver Lake Solar facility - An eight acre, 1.8 MW solar facility located in Pittsfield, MA. Since opening in October 2010, the facility has won two awards: The Photovoltaic Projects of Distinction Award from the Solar Electric Power Association and the John A.S. McGlennon Environmental Award of Corporate Leadership from the Environmental Business Council of New England.
- A 12 acre solar facility in the Indian Orchard neighborhood of Springfield, MA. The facility contains 8,200 solar panels producing 2.3 MW of electricity - enough to power about 500 homes.
- Eversource's newest solar generation facility is a 3.9 MW facility located on Cottage Street in Springfield, MA. This generation facility occupies 22 acres of land on top of a capped landfill, contains 12,980 solar panels and can supply electricity to 850 average-size homes.