Benefits of Natural Gas
Natural gas is the smart heating choice for your home - offering warmth, comfort and convenience. That's why the United States relies on natural gas for 23 percent of its energy needs - making it America's most popular home heating fuel!
Ninety-seven percent of the natural gas consumed in the United States is produced domestically and delivered via a transmission and distribution infrastructure that has an outstanding safety record.
More than 2.2 million miles of pipelines and mains quietly, reliably and efficiently deliver natural gas every day for use by 79 million residential, commercial and industrial customers, according to the Energy Solutions Center.
Why should you switch to natural gas? Because natural gas is:
The price stability of natural gas makes it the most cost effective way to heat your home. According to an American Gas Association analysis of the Department of Energy's cost projections, a high-efficiency (up to 97%) natural gas furnace is the most cost-effective way to heat your home.
Using our online calculator you can compare the cost of heating your home with natural gas to other common fuel sources - including oil and propane. A similar calculator is available for comparing water heating options.
Natural gas delivers value and offers versatility. In addition to heating your home and water, it also fuels fireplaces, grills, outdoor lighting, pools and appliances such as stoves, dryers and standby generators. It can even melt the ice on your driveway. This not only adds value to your home, but provides comfort and convenience.
Upgrading to natural gas heating equipment is an effective way to save money on home heating costs.
A central furnace or boiler's efficiency is measured by annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE). AFUE is a measurement of how efficient the heating equipment is in converting the energy in its fuel to heat over the course of a typical year. An AFUE of 90 percent means that 90 percent of the energy in the fuel becomes heat for the home and the other 10 percent escapes up the chimney and elsewhere.
You can identify and compare an appliance’s efficiency not only by its AFUE, but also by its equipment features. According to Energy.gov low-efficiency heating systems have an AFUE between 56 and 70 percent, while high-efficiency natural gas equipment has an AFUE between 90 and 98.5 percent.
Natural gas is clean for your family and the environment. According to the Department of Energy (DOE), natural gas emits 45 percent less carbon dioxide (CO2) than coal and 27 percent less CO2 than oil, making it the best fossil fuel source available to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. In fact, a 2,500 square foot home using natural gas heating over 20 years produces carbon dioxide savings equivalent to removing 12 cars off the road.
In addition, natural gas produces less sulfur dioxide, less nitrogen oxide and less particulate matter than coal or oil. According to the Environmental Protection Agency natural gas has the smallest carbon footprint of any form of fossil fuel-based power generation.
At Eversource, safety is our top priority. We work with industry and peer groups to continually enhance our pipeline safety and training methods. We also work with state regulators on programs designed to ensure the safe operation of the natural gas distribution system for our customers and the residents living in the communities we serve.
As new technologies are developed in pipeline design, construction, inspection and operations, we will continue to invest in pipeline integrity programs that will allow for the safe and secure delivery of natural gas.
Piped right to your home, natural gas is always there when you need it. There are no oil tanks to monitor, calling for deliveries or worries about running out of fuel. From home heating to outdoor grilling, you will never run out of natural gas.
With gas pipelines and storage controlled domestically, the U.S. has greater energy independence and consumers have the assurance that natural gas will be available when they need it. There is no disruption based on international conflict or political disruptions.
Abundant supplies of natural gas are available right here in the United States to help meet the nation's growing energy needs. According to the Energy Information Administration, there is enough natural gas to meet America’s energy needs for more than 100 years.
Our nation's abundance of domestic natural gas will satisfy significant new demand well into the future, and offers the opportunity to deliver energy value to American homes.