Bloomfield - Windsor Transmission Upgrade Project
As part of our commitment to meeting the energy needs of our customers, we are making substation upgrades and improvements to existing transmission lines in the towns of Bloomfield and Windsor, Conn.
In Bloomfield, we are separating 6.9 miles of an existing transmission line and moving it from existing structures onto new structures. We are also installing new equipment at both the North Bloomfield and the Bloomfield substations.
In Windsor, we are reconfiguring an existing transmission line outside the Rood Avenue substation while also adding new equipment and expanding the substation’s fence line. All work will be completed on Eversource property.
Substation & Transmission Line Construction
Construction to separate the existing transmission line and upgrade the equipment at the Rood Avenue, Bloomfield and North Bloomfield substations began in October 2016.
Hours of construction will typically be 7 a.m. through 7 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Due to unforeseen weather or other circumstances, the workday may be extended or work may be performed on a Sunday.
- Location: Bloomfield and Windsor, Connecticut
- Route length for line separation: Approximately 6.9 miles in Bloomfield
- Line voltage: 115,000-volt (115-kV) overhead transmission line
- Substations: Upgrades at the North Bloomfield, Bloomfield, and Rood Avenue substations
- Siting review by: Connecticut Siting Council (CSC)
Estimated Timetable (subject to change):
- Connecticut Siting Council (CSC) Petition filing: March 8, 2016
- CSC approval: April 28, 2016
- Development & Management (D&M) Plans to CSC for approval: Substation D&M – submitted July 29, 2016; approved September 15, 2016. Transmission Line D&M – submitted August 29, 2016; approved October 13, 2016.
- Start of construction: October 2016
- Estimated in-service date: Fourth Quarter 2017
CONNECTICUT SITING COUNCIL PETITION FILING
For an electric transmission line project, such as the Bloomfield - Windsor Transmission Upgrade Project, filing a Petition with the Connecticut Siting Council (CSC) is part of the regulatory review process, as defined by the Connecticut state statutes.
On April 28, 2016, the CSC voted to approve the Bloomfield – Windsor Transmission Upgrade Project.
The project’s construction plans, called Development and Management (D&M) Plans, were also submitted to the CSC for approval. The CSC approved the Substation D&M Plan on September 15, 2016 and the Transmission Line D&M Plan on October 13, 2016.
COMMUNICATIONS & PUBLIC OUTREACH
Beginning with municipal briefings and community outreach efforts related to the Bloomfield - Windsor Transmission Upgrade Project, we have made a concerted effort to engage town officials, residents, businesses, and other stakeholders to inform, answer questions, and listen to concerns about the project.
As work proceeds into and throughout construction, we will continue these outreach efforts.
For more information, send an email to TransmissionInfo@eversource.com or call 800-793-2202.