After The Storm
Even after a storm has passed, it is important to remain alert to potential hazards that could have resulted from an outage or storm. Here are some potential safety hazards to be on the look-out for:
- If all of your neighbors have their power back on, but yours is still out, report your outage again by calling 800-286-2000.
- If you have to drive, watch out for trees and wires in the roadway. Do not drive across a downed power line. Treat all nonworking traffic lights as stop signs and proceed cautiously at intersections.
- Stay clear of all fallen tree limbs and electrical wires as well as anything they are touching—such as puddles and metal fences.
- Notify local fire, police, and electric utility officials about downed power lines.
- Do not enter damaged buildings with flame lanterns, candles or lighted cigarettes because there may be gas leaks.
- Plug in and then turn on your appliances one at a time to avoid a power surge.